Wednesday, April 18, 2012

An afternoon on the river

Last month a group of us sailed up the Port River on a huge Catamaran. As we left the docks and I looked back, a huge wave of nostalgia came over me - in my youth, that marvellous building in the centre housed the Port Adelaide Institute Library, of which I became a member; one can easily recall the dark, quiet, almost-musty smell of the old books on shelves!  Then, not many years later it became home to Her Majesty's Customs & Excise Department, where I worked for 5 years straight out of school and it was an excellent grounding for my subsequent, long corporate career.
I am very grateful for the opportunities it provided for me to expand my skills and to travel.

. . . a lot of water has "gone under the bridge" since those days !


After our cruise, we adjourned to a nearby harbourside pub for pancakes (as you do) , and this quirky image of cutlery rolled up in napkins and piled on a tray appealed to my "whacky" photographer's eye!

Contributing to http://nfmemes.blogspot.com/ (thanks for the invite).

6 comments:

Karen said...

A majestic old building!

carol l mckenna said...

Excellent photos ~ sounds like a lovely and nostalgic adventure ~ Love the forks photo also ~ creative!thanks, namaste, ^_^

Melbourne Australia Photos said...

Great photos, Valerie. Always nice to look on some things and reminisce - goo memories tend to live longer than bad ones, thankfully!

Randi said...

Hi Valerie, thanks for your sweet comment. You are right...my dog is a West Highland Terrier. She didn´t wear "shades" more than a second. I had to use the camera rapidly...as you can imagine. She is a real Terrier!!!

What a lovely and nostalgic adventure! Love your last "quirky" shot!!!

Chubskulit Rose said...

What a beautiful river!

Nature Trekking on Holy Saturday. My first time joining NFS Waters.

diane b said...

I love your whacky photographer's eye. Tell us some stories of your past.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...